- Planning, including policy and development.
- Coordination of foreign aid and technical assistance from abroad through Economic Affairs Division
- Conducting economic research
- Coordination of statistics in general, and all matters relating to Bureau of Statistics
- Processing of all development schemes, programs and proposals submitted by other Departments and making recommendations to the government thereon
- Monitoring the progress and evaluation of development schemes and writing their critical appraisal
- Maintaining liaison with the National Planning Agencies
- Initiating measures for giving suitable publicity to the Development Plans and educating the public on the results achieved from time to time
- Co-ordination of foreign training programs for officers working with Sindh Government
- Dealing with service matters of the Department except those entrusted to the Services and General Administration Department.